Building custom boats is what we do
Archimedes, a unique and funky Jay Benford designed boat required a yard where the owner was free to provide input during the build process. While yards in Europe were more focused on controlling production – we were ready to work with the owner, constructing Archimedes with care and attention to detail. http://johnsonyachts.co.nz/63-gaff-rigged-cutter/
Specific skills were required for this project including:
- Computer Controlled plasma cut kitset
- Comprehensive knowledge of plate rolling in forming the hull.
- Wooden Spar making skills
- The design and production of custom cast bronze mast fittings and portholes.
- The construction of a safe, strong and functional boat capable of extensive ocean passage-making
What makes it special
The Archimedes is a custom crafted sailboat – designed to withstand sea conditions including a 360 degree rollover, she features:
- A stainless steel bulkhead and hand-crafted stainess fittings
- A combination of Australian Jarrah and Maple throughout the interior
- An induction cooking system
- Specifically designed to sail around the world, including Cape Horn
- The double ended round bildged steel hull requiring a high level of skilled plate rolling.
- A unique paint job
- The construction of solid round oregon mast and spars
Started in 2001 and launched in Christmas 2003 featuring a steel hull with a combination of Australian Jarrah and Maple throughout the interior.
Archimedes is currently berthed at Pine Harbour Marina and maintained by Johnson Yachts International
Length on deck
32 tons approx
100hp Yanmar turbo
4 cyl diesel
6.5 kts Cruise